It was another epic day in the history of UNLV Golf as sophomore Jack Trent won a 3-hole playoff over Texas Cole Hammmer at the Southern Highlands Collegiate. In the process, he became the event’s first champion to be awarded an exemption into the PGA Tour’s Shriners Hospitals for Children Open Oct. 3-6 at TPC Summerlin. Trent won with a birdie and then celebrated with his teammates, coaches and UNLV fans.
“This is my first college win so for it to be here in my hometown after moving from Australia and then to be playing in the Shriners’ PGA Tour event in Las Vegas as well, I’m just at a loss for words, this is so cool,” Trent said following the day’s action. Check out the complete Southern Highlands Collegiate News page here.
Oklahoma won the team competition by one stroke over Texas. UNLV was seventh, but it was Trent who stole the show.
“He didn’t hit a good drive on the first playoff hole. It was actually plugged in the bunker and a really tough lie. He decided to just kind of kick it out and take what he could out of it. Fortunately, his opponent ended up missing a short putt tp win it and that just relaxed Jack and got him real comfortable going forward. He hit some great shots from there. The shot he hit on the last hole that won it was just fantastic.”
— Live Streaming America (@LiveStreamingAm) March 6, 2019
The tournament annually attracts one of the strongest fields in college golf and this year included five of the nation’s top-10 ranked teams.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
- T1st – Jack Trent, sophomore (67-68-71=206, -10)
- T21st – David Rauch, freshman (69-73-74=216, E)
- T31st – Justin Kim, junior (77-72-70=219, +3)
- T50th – Alex Jordan, senior (74-76-73=223, +7) *
- T60th – Harry Hall, senior (75-73-78=226, +10)
- T63rd – Justin Chong, junior (74-73-80=227, +11) *
- T69th – J.J. Gresco, sophomore (78-76-74=228, +12)
- 76th – Chris Ebster, freshman (77-77-76=230, +14) *
- 80th – Marco Trstenjak, freshman (85-76-79=240, +24) *
* Competed as an individual
- Oklahoma (287-281-282=850, -14)
- Texas (295-277-279=851, -13)
- Stanford (284-282-288=854, -10)
- Texas Tech (288-284-284=856, -8)
- California (288-286-283=857, -7)
- Georgia Tech (283-282-295=860, -4)
T7. UNLV (288-286-289=863, -1)
T7. TCU (294-282-287=863, -1)
There were a total of 15 teams and 81 individuals competing.
- Jack Trent is the sixth Rebel to win the individual title at UNLV’s home tournament and the first since 2012. The other Rebel champions at the event are Ed Fryatt (1993), Ted Oh (1995), Ryan Moore (2003), Matt Kinsinger (2006) and Blake Biddle (2012).
- UNLV is the three-time defending Mountain West champions.
- Last year’s team also finished third at the NCAA Regional in Columbus, Ohio, and placed in the top 20 at the NCAA Championship.
- Trent earned the Mountain West Freshman of the Year award last season, while Harry Hall and Trent were both recognized as All-MW performers.
- Hall was named a Srixon/Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar in July.
- UNLV has played in a NCAA-record 30 straight regionals.
- This year marks head coach Dwaine Knight’s 32nd season leading the Rebel program.